Monday, July 14, 2014

Roasted Strawberry Basil Tea Cordial

A hulled strawberry holding basil flowers and leaves

A couple of weeks ago I posted up one of those listicles of recipes that always makes me salivate for food. This particular list was for strawberries. I remember reading the article and thinking to myself that I ought to make the roasted strawberry tea. Well, I did it. I made a version of the strawberry tea.

I had gotten large amount of fragrant basil and I just knew instinctively  that it would make an awesome summer drink. I am very big into making drinks at home because I feel like drinks for those who don't drink alcohol tend to be boring sugar laden affairs. By playing with making drinks at home, I can try more adult combinations that focus less on sugar. I find that there is a huge flavor range between bitter and sweet or mellow and bold that don't get interpreted into drinks often. Also, beyond fruitiness, there is a whole of floral and herby taste and fragrances that I don't see often in drinks.

I wanted to play up the lush fragrance of the basil so I bought some strawberries from the store before coming home on Saturday. On Sunday morning, I roasted some strawberries, chopped some basil, made syrup and combine the whole lot. The resulting cordial was amazing. Roasting the strawberries intensified and changed the flavor on it.

It is all gone now and I know I am going to make it again soon. Anyway, the recipe is below. I hope you get to try it.

Hulled Strawberries with basil leaves on a white board

Roasted Strawberry Basil Cordial makes 2 Cups

8oz Strawberries hulled
8oz Fresh Basil Leaves roughly shredded
1Cup Simple Syrup  warm

Instruction
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Put in the strawberries in a roasting dish and place into the oven. Roast for 15-20 minute until strawberries have darkened in color, reduced in size and releases juice
2. Pour the basil leaves into the still hot strawberries in roasting dish and add in warm syrup. Stir gently.
3. Allow mix to seep for an hour at least before straining. The longer you allow it to seep, the stronger the basil flavor.
4. Chill strawberry basil cordial in a fridge for up to a week. You can use it to make a drink with a mix ratio of 1 part cordial to 2 water/coconut water/seltzer. Or you can drizzle it on ice-cream or pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment