Saturday, July 19, 2014

Chipotle Potato Salad

Potato salad made with new potatoes, mayonnaise, peas, chipotle sauce, peas and cherry tomatoes topped with orange-chipotle chicken breast on a bed of quick pickled cabbage
Chipotle Potato Salad
The problem with cooking for one person is the leftovers. Especially for someone who loves cooking, leftovers are the things that keep me eating the same thing over and over again. Leftovers are the blocks that stop me from creatively expressing myself in the kitchen.

As anticipated, on the night I made the lovely fried chicken sandwich, I had leftovers for some of my key items like the cabbage, homemade mayonnaise and the chipotle sauce. It was very important for me to use up the mayonnaise quickly because it had raw egg in it and therefore would not stay edible for a long time.



I definitely was not in the mood for another sandwich. However, I was in the mood for a potato salad. I know a lots of people are not fans of potato salads. Neither am I. Except when I make it at home myself. I prefer my potato salad made with new small potatoes that don't require cutting up. I usually make potato salad in the spring and summer when new potatoes are abundant in the stores. These have thinner skin that can be washed up nicely before cooking the potatoes. I also prefer to make the dressing with half-cooked eggs heavily mixed with a spicy mustard and a little oil.

In Manchester, I used to add in flaked smoked mackerel to make it a quick one dish meal that is suitable for picnic. This meal I had it with leftover quick-pickled cabbage and leftover Orange-Chipotle Chicken that I had made earlier that week. It was a week that was heavy on chipotle peppers.

Chipotle sauce in a mason jar, homemade mayonnaise in a jar, cherry tomatoes, new potatoes and english peas

Chipotle New Potato Salad

1Lb of New Potatoes washed and boiled
1/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup of Honey Chipotle Sauce*
1 Cup of Cherry Tomatoes halfed
1/2 Cup of English Peas shelled and blanched

Instructions
1. Make sure the potatoes are cooled down before making the salad. Add the cooked potatoes, mayonnaise and chipotle sauce in a bowl. Mix it all together with your hands, crushing some of the potatoes slightly.
2. Add in the peas and tomatoes once the sauces and potatoes are well blended. Mix gently to avoid crushing tomatoes.
3. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour and up to 3 days. Serve.

*If you don't have chipotle sauce and you can't be bothered to make it, you can substitute it with a good BBQ sauce. Or you can blend the mayonnaise with chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for the same spicy and smokey kick with a little honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment