Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Beautiful Mess


lamb, rosemary, flat-leaf parsley, red pepper flakes, garlic
Rack of Lamb
One of the reasons why I cook more often than I bake is that I have no patience. Actually, maybe it is not patience. I just can't be bothered with recipes. Really can't be bothered. My relationship with food has always been instinctual. I look at food and I cook what comes out of me. I have been lucky that more often than not, the food is edible. Tonight though was a bust.


I have had this rack of lamb tucked away in the freezer for a special day. I have been waiting for that special occasion that would be deserving of my rather expensive rack of lamb (Sidenote: Maybe my rack of lamb is not expensive really. I walked into one of the fancy food stores that we have in Boston called Savenor. After seeing a rack of lamb on sale for $90, I was compelled to leave the store out of fear. I could not stay longer because I did not want to run the risk of breaking something in the store I could not afford.)  After waiting for a couple of months, I was compelled to defrost it for dinner. I looked up a recipes this morning because I have never cooked lamb before. I chose an Epicurious recipe for Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb. Of course,  I can't follow recipes so I changed things up a bit for the herbs. I added in crushed pistachios into the herb crust mostly. Ok, maybe I used dried rosemary instead of fresh as well.  Then, I followed their cooking instruction.

Herb-Crusted Lamb on Stir-fried Asparagus 
I certainly did not enjoy the result. First off, when I tried to cut the crust kept coming off the meat. The meat was tender but the flavor profile was off. I feel like lamb can handle a heavier treatment or just something simpler. The in-betweeness of the Epicurious recipe did not fill my mouth with delight. The next time I make lamb, I am going in for the kill. I am imagining a really crunchy crust that is salty and sweet. Until then, I leave you with these pictures.

By the way, the reason I am putting up this post is because I feel like the pictures for this recipe are some of the best I have taken. My camera/photography skills are weak to say the least. I am smart enough to admit that it is not the camera, it is me. I have been playing with buttons more on my camera. I am hopeful that I can be better soon enough.

**Bonus Fail: I also tried to make a smoothie of papaya, kiwi and oranges. I hated it because it was so itchy on my tongue and throat.

Papaya, Kiwi and Oranges are not a good combination for a smoothie
Papaya, Kiwi and Oranges are not a good combination for a smoothie





No comments:

Post a Comment