Monday, April 21, 2014

NYTimes' The Hidden Dangers of Rice

A bowl of white long grain rice with Ayamashe Sauce
Last Friday as is my habit, I did my grocery shopping before I left work. I decided I wanted something low key so I settled on veggie fried rice. I would have put up pictures and recipes but my camera had a melt down this weekend so I have no pictures. Anyway, after cooking the rice on Saturday so get ready for Sunday cooking, I read this article on the hidden dangers of rice on NYTimes this weekend. I am sharing it because I found it really interesting.

The whole idea that rice could be a hidden danger is something that scares me. I am not going to over-react and say that rice is banned from my diet. Rice has been a central part of my food journey so far. I grew up eating rice. As a child, when we had the weekly food schedule, rice was served on Wednesdays and on Sundays. On birthdays, a pot of jollof rice with 2 fried whole chickens and a crate of bottles soda was the standard. For big holidays like the Eid-el-Fitr and Eid-el-Kabir, we had caterers come in and cook big pots of rice, including jollof rice and the Nigerian version of fried rice. Rice has always represented happy memories to me.

So after reading the article, I thought about and still made my pre-planned fried rice for lunch this week.

2 comments:

  1. We live in a risk averse world. Brown rice worse? So what shld we eat? So much conflicting information abt food, you really just want to throw caution to the wind. Like you, I will still eat my rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? How can brown rice be worse. At this rate, everything is bad for you. Might as well eat and be merry :)

      Delete